GATE 2022: The Graduate Aptitude in Engineering (GATE) is one of the most prestigious entrance examinations in the country. It is conducted annually by the IISc, Bangalore and IITs for the candidates who wish to seek admission in master’s degree program in engineering, technology and architecture or doctoral degree in relevant branches of Science.
GATE 2022 Syllabus micro-site contains details of all streams including the recent changes in GATE Syllabus, details of subject-wise importance
Before heading to the application form, candidates should ensure their eligibility status as ineligible candidates will likely be debarred from taking the exam. GATE score is considered by a majority of institutions in the country. Many PSU’s consider the score of GATE exam for recruitment in different departments. The exam will be held in online mode and will cover a total duration of 3 hours.
GATE 2022 Highlights
- Candidates can apply for GATE exam only through online mode. No other mode for filling the application form shall be entertained or permitted by the authority.
- GATE exam will test the comprehensive understanding of the candidates in different UG subjects in engineering/technology/architecture and PG-level subjects in science respectively.
- The exam will be conducted for 24 subjects/papers in computer –based mode.
- Validity of the GATE score is 3 years from the date of announcement of results.
- For availing financial assistance (scholarship/assistanceship), candidates need to secure admission to a program in one of the central government supported institutes. The procedure for admission might vary according to the institutes.
- Direct recruitment to Group A level posts in central government, i.e., senior field officer (TELE), senior research officer (CRYPTO) among other is also carried out on the basis of the GATE score.
- Candidates can only appear for one paper of the GATE exam.
- The photograph, signature, certificate of qualifying degree, category certificate (SC/ST/PwD) and/or Dyslexic certificate as applicable must be uploaded during the online application.
GATE 2022 Important Dates
The tentative dates for GATE exam are provided below-
|Online application form releasing||1st week of September 2020|
|Last date to submit the online form||4th week of September 2020|
|Application correction window||Last week of September 2020|
|Last date to register (with late fee)||1st week of October 2020|
|Admit card releasing date||1st week of January 2022|
|Exam date||1st and 2nd week of February 2022|
|Answer key releasing||3rd week of February 2022|
|Result publication||3rd week of March 2022|
|Scorecard releasing date||Last week of March 2022|
GATE 2022 Exam Pattern
The exam pattern for GATE 2022 is as follows-
- Exam mode: Computer-based mode
- Duration: 3 hours
- Medium of instructions: English
- Type of questions: MCQs and Numerical answers type
- Total number of papers: 24 papers
- Total number of questions: 65 questions
- Marking scheme: Varies accordingly
- Negative marking: For question carrying 1 mark, 1/3 marks will be deducted and for those carrying 2 marks, 2/3 marks will be deducted. Negative marking not applicable for NAT questions.
GATE 2022 Syllabus
The syllabus of GATE exam is based on the UG syllabus of the concerned discipline in which a candidate has earned his/her degree. Given below are some of the key topics (for some disciplines) the candidates must study for the exam-
- General Aptitude: This paper will be common to all the papers and will include English grammar, reading comprehension, sentence correction, word groups, data interpretation, verbal reasoning etc.
- Aerospace Engineering (AE): Engineering mathematics, structures, flight mechanics, space dynamics, aerodynamics, propulsion.
- Chemical Engineering (CH): Engineering mathematics, process calculations and thermodynamics, fluid mechanics and mechanical operations, etc.
- Mechanical Engineering (ME): Engineering mathematics, applied mechanics and design, fluid mechanics and thermal sciences, materials, manufacturing, and industrial engineering, etc.
- Petroleum Engineering (PE): Calculus, linear algebra, differential equations, complex variables, probability and statistics, numerical methods, petroleum exploration, oil and gas drilling technology, reservoir engineering, petroleum production operations, oil and gas well testing, health safety and environment in petroleum industry, enhanced oil recovery techniques etc.
- Computer Science and Information Technology (CS): Engineering mathematics, digital logic, computer organization and architecture, programming and data structures, algorithms, theory of computation, compiler design, operating system, databases, computer networks etc.
Application form GATE 2022
The application for GATE exam will be released on the official website in the 1st week of September 2020. Applicants need to register themselves for the exam by providing their basic details such as name, email id and mobile number. After successful registration, they need to login into the portal to fill rest of the application form. Candidates should keep their documents and scanned images handy as they will be required to upload them during the form filling part.
The information provided in the application form should be correct and match the official records of the candidates. Incorrect details or misleading information will lead to the cancellation of the application submitted by the candidates. Candidates however will be given a chance to edit their details through the application correction window. The online form should be submitted with the application fee on or before the due date specified by the authority to avoid rejection of the application.
For exam centers in India
|Category||On or before the due date||During the extended period|
|Female||Rs. 750/-||Rs. 1250/-|
|SC/ST/PWD||Rs. 750/-||Rs. 1250/-|
|All other candidates||Rs. 1500/-||Rs. 2000/-|
For exam centers outside India
|Category||On or before the due date||During the extended period|
|Addis Ababa, Colombo, Dhaka and Kathmandu||US $ 50||US $ 70|
|Dubai and Singapore||US $ 100||US $ 120|
Note: The payment of the stated application fee can be paid online using the credit card, net banking and debit card.
Eligibility Criteria of GATE 2022
Candidates must satisfy the eligibility conditions laid down by the authority in order to appear in the exam. The eligibility criteria for taking the GATE exam is as follows-
Nationality: Indian and foreign nationals are eligible to apply for the GATE examination.
Educational qualification as per the qualifying degrees
|Qualifying exam||Qualifying exam/degree||Candidate’s description||Year of qualification (not later than)|
|B.E/B.Tech/B.Pharma||Candidates should have done B.Tech after 10+2 or hold a 3 year bachelor’s degree after B.Sc /Diploma in Engineering/Technology||Completed or appearing||2022|
|B.Arch||Candidates should have done 5 years of B.Arch course||Completed or appearing||2022|
|B.Sc (Research)/B.S||Candidates should possess a bachelor’s degree in science (post-diploma/4 years after 10+2)||Completed or appearing||2022|
|Pharma.D||Candidates should have done 6 years of program including internship or residency training during 6th year||Currently in 4th/5th/ 6th year or completed||2023|
|M.Sc/M.A/MCA or equivalent||A Master’s degree in any branch of Science/Mathematics/Statistics/Computer Application or equivalent is required||Completed or appearing||2022|
|Integrated M.E/M.Tech or dual degree||Integrated master’s degree or dual degree in engineering/technology||Currently in 4th/5th year or completed||2022|
Note: Candidates who have obtained/are pursuing their qualifying degree from countries other than India:
- Must have completed or are in the final year of their Bachelor’s degree in Engineering and Technology.
- Must have completed or are in the final year of their Post Graduate (Master’s) degree in any relevant subjects in science.
GATE 2022 Admit card
- Candidates can download the admit card of GATE 2022 from the official website using their login ID and password.
- No hall tickets will be sent to the candidates individually or otherwise.
- Applicants need to keep a printout copy of their admit card and preserve it for future purpose.
- Entry to the exam hall will be denied to the candidates who do not possess a valid hall ticket.
- Along with the admit card, candidates also need to carry a valid ID proof (passport, pan card, voter id, Aadhar card, college id, employee id and driving license) to the exam hall.
- The details in the admit card should be thoroughly checked and discrepancies should be reported immediately if found.
GATE 2022 Result
- The result of GATE 2022 will most probably be published on the GOAPS portal in the 3rd week of March 2022.
- GATE score will be valid for duration of 3 years from the date of announcement of results.
- Applicants can check their result and download the scorecard by logging into the official web portal of the GOAPS.
- Candidates can apply directly to the institute they in which they seek admission based on the GATE score secured by them.
- Based on the GATE scores, many government and private colleges/universities will organize their own counselling procedure to shortlist the candidates for admission in the relevant master’s program.