TISSNET 2019 – Exam Date, Eligibility, Registration, Exam Pattern
TISSNET 2019 is scheduled for January 19 from 2 pm to 3.40 pm in 39 centers across India. The examination will be conducted for 100 marks, PIT for 50 marks and Interview for 75 marks i.e. a total of 225 marks. In order to qualify for selection, candidates must score at least 40% in NET, 30% in PIT and 30% in the interview. The detailed schedule will be released shortly at admission.tiss.edu.
TISS MA is a national level entrance exam, held for admissions to 55 Master’s Degree programs offered by TISS (Tata Institute of Social Sciences). The institute does not offer an MBA program. Instead, it offers its flagship course- MA in Human Resources Management and Labour Relations (HRM & LR) which is equal to an MBA-HR degree. Nearly 40,000candidates appear for TISSNET each year. Out of these, about 17,000 apply for MBA (HRM & LR).
Highlights of TISSNET 2019
|Exam Name||Tata Institute of Social Sciences National Entrance Test|
|TISSNET 2019 Exam Date||January 19, 2019|
|Conducting Body||Tata Institute of Social Sciences (TISS)|
|Exam Category||Post Graduate|
|Minimum Qualification||Bachelor’s Degree|
|TISS Courses||M.A. / M.Sc. / M.P.H./ M.H.A.|
|Exam Mode||Computer-Based – CheckTISSNET Exam Pattern|
|TISSNET Helpline Number||022- 25525252|
TISSNET 2019 Exam Date
The official dates for TISSNET 2019 will be released shortly at the official portal of TISS. Until then, candidates can go through the following table to get a tentative idea of the schedule:
TISSNET 2019 will be held on Sunday January 13, 2019 from 2 PM to 3.40 PM for admission 2019 to different campuses of Tata Institute of Social Sciences. TISS-NET is a computer based National Entrance Test for the all Masters programmes offered by TISS. MA programmes of Tata Institute of Social Sciences are highly sought after masters degree courses for the candidates seeking career in management and other branches. Registration for TISSNET 2019 begins from October 26, 2018.
TISSNET Eligibility Criteria
TISSNET Eligibility requires candidates to meet the below mentioned criteria:
- A Bachelor’s degree of minimum 3 years duration or equivalent from a recognized authority in any discipline.
- Candidates in their final year of graduation degree are eligible to apply for TISSNET.
- Candidates studying in the final year of their graduation but have not passed in all the subjects of their previous years are not eligible to apply for any of the masters’ courses offered by TISS.
- There are no age-limit criteria.
- There is no restriction on the number of attempts.
Read complete TISSNET Eligibility
Tata Institute of Social Sciences (TISS) conducts TISS National Entrance Test (TISSNET) for admission to about 55 of its Programs. TISS has 21 schools and 45 centres offering variety of programmes.
TISSNET Reservation Policy
All the four campuses of TISS (Mumbai, Tuljapur, Guwahati, Hyderabad) have seats vacant for candidates from reserved categories. The final admission is granted on the basis of the below-given seat reservation policy only.
|TISS Mumbai||TISS Tuljapur||TISS Hyderabad||TISS Guwahati|
|Children of the Armed Forces Employees||5%||5%||5%||5%|
|North Eastern States||–||–||–||66%*|
TISSNET Application Form 2019
The application form for TISSNET 2019 is available in online mode only. Candidates can apply for a maximum of 3 programs at 2 different campuses of TISS.
- To access the form, candidates have to visit the official website of TISSNET i.e. admissions.tiss.edu.
- The registration will be done through E-application Process.
- First, register with a valid email id. You will be sent a password on that id to log-in with.
- After TISSNET Application Form opens up, enter all your academic, personal and preferred course details.
- Pay the requisite application fee (depending on the number of programs applied) either by online or offline mode.
- Scan and upload your photograph, signature, marksheet of the last exam passed and other necessary certificates.
Steps to Fill TISSNET Application Form
TISSNET Admit Card 2019
The admit card for TISSNET 2019 will be available from Dec. 22, 2018 – Jan. 6, 2019 at the official website of TISS i.e.tiss.edu. Candidates also receive a link to their registered email ID to download the hall ticket of TISSNET.
Steps to download TISSNET Admit Card
- Upon clicking the link, you will be required to enter your registration number and date of birth.
- In case candidates do not receive it by the first week of January 2019, they may request a duplicate admit card.
- In case of any discrepancy, you may call TISS CARE: 022 – 2552 5252 OR may register a complaint by sending a mail to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Once you have TISSNET Admit Card in hand, cross-check all the details on it. Make sure they are true and correct.
- At the time of appearing for TISSNET 2019, carry a valid photo id card along with your admit card.
TISSNET Exam Centers 2019
TISSNET is conducted at 39 exam centers across India. The complete list of TISSNET Exam Centers is given below:
|Northern Region||Eastern Region||Western Region||Southern Region|
TISSNET Exam Pattern 2019
- TISSNET is scheduled for January 19, 2019 in online (computer-based) mode.
- Questions are asked on General Awareness, Mathematical and Logical Reasoning and English.
- The overall difficulty level of last year’s paper was relatively higher since there was an increase in number of the GA questions.
Some of the important highlights for TISSNET Exam Pattern is mentioned in the table below.
|TISSNET Exam Pattern Highlights|
|Exam Mode||Computer-based mode|
|Number of Questions||100|
|Question Type||Multiple Choice Questions|
|Number of Sections||3 (General Awareness, Mathematical and Logical Reasoning and English)|
|Time Duration||1 hour 40 minutes|
|Sectional Time Limit||No|
|Marks per Question||1 mark|
As given above, the question paper will be divided into 3 mains sections. The weightage of questions and marks of each can be seen below:
|Section||Subject Area||No. of Questions||Marks|
|II||Mathematical & Logical Reasoning||30||30|
Use of Scribe- Candidates with visual impairment will be given an option to have a SCRIBE to assist them to complete the test. The SCRIBE should be an undergraduate student and should bring a valid ID proof at the time of the test. The Persons with Disabilities who have a disability of 40% or more will get a compensatory extra time of 20 minutes per hour.
All important topics of the 3 section in TISSNET are given below. These are generally till class 12 level. Make sure you leave no stone unturned while you prepare for the exam. Practice as many TISSNET Sample Papers as possible, so that you get a hang of the most recurring questions.
|Awareness of Social and General Issues||Analytical and Numerical ability||English Proficiency|
|Recent social issues||Time and work||Reading comprehension|
|Economic processes||Time and distance||Vocabulary|
|General Geology||Percentage, Average||Pairing of words|
|Meaning of terms||Square root and Basic algebra||Synonyms and antonyms|
|Personalities||Simple and compound interest||Fill in the blanks|
|Sociological awareness||Properties of shapes||Rearrange the sentences|
|Social activities and movements||Mixtures and Allegations||–|
|Fine arts and music||Speed-distance-time||–|
|Current Affairs||Basic set concepts||–|
Check detailed TISSNET Syllabus
TISSNET Preparation Books
Candidates must prepare from the right kind of study material to cover all significant topics that might come in TISSNET question paper. Some of the most reliable TISSNET Preparation books are mentioned below.
|Book Name||Author/Publisher Name|
|Quantitative Aptitude by RS Aggarwal||RS Aggarwal|
|How to Prepare for Logical Reasoning for CAT||Arun Sharma|
|An Advanced Approach to Data Interpretation||RS Aggarwal|
|Proficiency in Reading Comprehension Simplifying the ‘Passage’ for you||Ajay Singh|
|Objective English for Competitive Examination||Hari Mohan Prasad|
|Indian Polity||M Laxmikanth|
Along with these books, candidates are also advised to thoroughly go through the NCERT books of Class 8th to 12th for preparing General Awareness and Mathematics sections. Reading newspapers and magazines will also aid their preparation on trending topics of global importance and current affairs. Check Tips to Prepare for TISSNET 2019
TISSNET Result 2019
- TISS Result will be declared in January 2019 at the official website i.e. tiss.edu.
- TISS releases the result in the form of a scorecard.
- Candidates are selected on the basis of the marks they score in the entrance exam.
- TISSNET merit list displays the shortlisted candidates who are then called upon for Pre-Interview Test (PIT) and Personal Interview (PI).
- The final list of selected candidates will be displayed in April 2019.
How to Check TISSNET Result?
Candidates can check their TISSNET Result from the official website. The steps given below can help the candidates to check their TISS Results:
- Visit TISSNET official website
- Under ‘Admissions’ tab at the top of the page, click on the TISS Results section
- Enter your USER ID and PASSWORD
- Check TISSNET result
- Download and print scorecard for further use
Tie breaker in TISSNET
In case two or more candidates score the same marks and it is difficult to maintain the merit list, then TISS facilitates the candidates with tie-breaker criteria. This tie-breaker criterion involves comparison of marks of candidates at certain levels.To imply tiebreaker criteria, the following steps are followed:
- At first, the PI marks of the candidates will be compared.
- In case PI marks of both the candidates are equal, then PIT marks will be compared.
- If the PIT marks are also equal, then the entrance score of both the candidates will be taken into consideration.
- Again if the entrance score comes equal, then the candidate older in age will be given preference over the one younger in age.
TISSNET Cut off 2019
- The cut off for TISS Exam is declared along with the result only.
- These are the minimum qualifying marks that a candidate must secure to stand eligible for next selection rounds.
- The minimum qualifying marks for written test was 35% (for SC/ST) and 45% (for others).
- Some of the factors that determine TISSNET Cut off include previous year cutoff, difficulty level of exam, number of test takers, etc.
- Given below are the expected category-wise cut off marks for TISSNET 2019. However, TISS will declare the official cut off in February 2019.
|Programme||Category||TISSNET 2018 Cutoff Marks (Official)|
|MA in Human Resource Management and Labour Relations||General category||82|
|Development Studies||General category||75|
Previous Year TISSNET Cut off (2013-2016)
|Category||Cut off Score|
|General||73 – 76||74-77||70-73||77-81|
|Other Backwards Classes||–||65-68||63-66||77-81|
|Person with Disability||–||62-65||58-61||65-67|
TISSNET Selection Procedure 2019
- All candidates who successfully qualify TISSNET will be called for PIT/PI rounds.
- Candidates who have obtained the minimum cut off score are only eligible to participate in TISSNET selection procedure.
- TISSNET Selection Procedure has three components of assessment. The components are
- National Entrance Test
- Pre-Interview Test / Group Discussion (GD)
- Personal Interview (PI)
- Candidates who have been shortlisted after the entrance examination will be invited for the subsequent round of Pre-Interview Test.
- The Pre-Interview Test is a written test conducted as part of the TISSNET Selection Procedure.
- There will be 2 sections
- Section I (25-30 Marks) will be of Essay Writing (1000-1500 words)
- Section II (20-25 Marks) will be a short case-let with 4 questions based on it.
- The duration of PIT is 35-45 minutes.
- The final round of the TISSNET selection process is the Personal Interview (PI).
- Candidates are expected to be acquainted with the program for which they have applied, for the PI round.
- The questions are normally asked regarding their program the candidates choose.
TISSNET Merit List 2019
Once all the 3 stages of TISSNET Selection Process are done, TISS will prepare a final merit list of selected students. The weightage given to all these stages is given below for your reference. Students who secure the maximum marks have chances of getting their preferred college.
|Component||Weightage (in %)||Total Marks|
|Pre-Interview Test (PIT)||30||50|
|Personal Interview (PI)||30||75|
TISS Courses and Seat Matrix
Tata Institute of Social Sciences offers 55 M.A. courses across the country. TISS campuses are located in Mumbai, Chennai, Tuljapur, Guwahati, and Hyderabad. The number of seats varies from program to program in each of these campuses. Check them below:
|TISS Campus||Courses Available||Total Seat Intake|
|TISS Mumbai||M.A. Social Work in Children and Family||805|
|M.A. Social Work in Criminology and Justice|
|M.A. Social Work in Community Organization and Development Practice|
|M.A. Social Work in Disability Studies and Action|
|M.A. Social Work in Dalit and Tribal Studies and Action|
|M.A. Social Work in Public Health|
|M.A. Social Work in Mental Health|
|M.A. Social Work in livelihoods and social entrepreneurship|
|M.A. Social Work in Women Centred Practice|
|M.A. Human Resources Management and Labour Relations|
|M.A. Social Entrepreneurship|
|M.A. Globalisation and Labour|
|Master of Health Administration|
|Master of Hospital Administration|
|Master of Public Health in Social Epidemiology|
|Master of Public Health in Health Policy, Economics and Finance|
|M.A. Development Studies|
|M.A. in Womens Studies|
|M.A. Education (Elementary)|
|M.A./M.Sc. in Climate Change and Sustainability Studies|
|M.A. / M.Sc. in Urban Policy and Governance|
|M.A. / M.Sc. in Regulatory Governance|
|M.A. / M.Sc. in Water Policy and Governance|
|M.A. / M.Sc. in Disaster Management|
|MA Applied Psychology – Specialization in Counselling Psychology|
|MA Applied Psychology – Specialization in Clinical Psychology|
|M.A. in Media and Cultural Studies|
|Master of Library and Information Science|
|Master of laws in access to justice|
|1. Online M.A. Social Work in Child Rights|
|2. Online M.A. International Family Studies|
|TISS Tuljapur||M.A. Social Work in Rural Development||80|
|M.A./M.Sc in Development Policy, Planning and Practice|
|M.A./M.Sc in Sustainable Livelihood and Natural Resources Governance|
|M.A. in Social Innovation and Entrepreneurship|
|TISS Guwahati||M.A. Social Work in Community Organization and Development Practices||155|
|M.A. Social-work in Public Health|
|M.A. Social-Work in livelihoods and entrepreneurship|
|M.A. Social Work in Counselling|
|M.A. in Labour Studies and Social Protection|
|M.A. in Ecology, Environment and Sustainable Development|
|M.A. in peace and conflict studies|
|M.A. in Sociology and Social Anthropology|
|TISS Hyderabad||M.A. Development Studies||90|
|M.A. in Women Studies|
|M.A. in Rural Development and Governance|
|M.A. in Education|
|M.A. in Public Policy and Governance|
|M.A. in Natural Resources & Governance|
|M.A. Human Resource Management|
|TISS Chennai||M.A. Social Work in Mental Health||20|
|MA Applied Psychology – Specialization in Counselling Psychology|
|MA Applied Psychology – Specialization in Clinical Psychology|
|M.A. in Research|
TISSNET 2019: Key Changes
- TISSNET-2019 exam will not have any negative marking question this year
- TISSNET 2019 exam will have a single question paper for all the programmes
- There will be 100 questions for a duration of 100 minutes in TISSNET 2019
- TISSNET 2019 scoring pattern is changed. General Awareness Section has 40 marks; English Proficiency has 30 marks; Maths and Logical Reasoning section carries 30 marks
TISSNET 2019 Exam Dates
Announcement of Admissions
October 26, 2018
Last Date for Online form APPLICATION / REGISTRATION for All Master’s programmes
December 10, 2018
Last Date for receipt of application form by post
December 12, 2018
Issue of Issue of TISS-NET Hall Ticket Online (TISSNET 2019 Admit Cards)
December 26-27, 2018
Pre-admission orientation Programme for SC/ST/OBC/Minority and PWD candidates will be held at Mumbai/Tuljapur/Hyderabad and Guwahati Campuses
December 23, 2018
TISSNET 2019 Exam Date
January 13, 2019 (2 PM to 3.40 PM)
Announcement of TISS-NET 2019 Result
(Candidates who appeared for the national entrance test will have to visit the TISS website and login to download your score card.)
January, 2019 Last Week (Evening hours)
Pre-Interview Test and Personal Interview at TISS for programmes offered at Mumbai, Tuljapur, Hyderabad, Guwahati and BALM, Chennai Campuses.
Announcement of Selection on TISS website for all the Programmes
Last Week April, 2019
Courses for MBA Aspirants as TISS
Courses at TISS are offered in multiple disciplines ranging from social sector to policy making. The Master Degree courses for which an MBA aspirant can apply are MA in Human Resource Management and Labor Relations, MA in Social Entrepreneurship and MA in Globalization and Labor. TISS NET is an easy to moderate difficulty level test with major thrust on GK section. Admission to TISS is through TISSNET. Some of the programmes in Social Health may only have a descriptive paper. The coveted MA (HRM & LR) at TISS is considered equivalent to an MBA in HR
Computer Based Test: TISSNET is an online entrance exam for the admission to Full-Time (Regular) Post-Graduate Degree Programmes (M.A., M. Sc., M.H.A., M.P.H., MA (HR)) offered at 4 campuses of TISS located at Mumbai, Tuljapur, Guwahati, Hyderabad and other locations
Easy to moderate difficulty level: TISS NET exam difficulty varies from Easy to moderate. The preparation done for CAT and other management entrances is sufficient to crack TISS NET.
6 Areas of Test Paper: The TISSNET exam consists of English, Analytical & Logical Reasoning along with General Knowledge & Knowledge on Contemporary Issues. Candidates are shortlisted on the basis of their TISSNET score. The shortlisted candidates then are called for a round of Pre Interview Test and Personal Interview (PIT/PI) leading to final selection.
GK is the differentiator: With English, Quant and LR/DI being of easy to moderate difficulty, TISS NET places major thrust on GK by allotting it highest weightage of 40 marks. The purview of GK is vast. In order to score well in TISS NET you need to ace the GK section.
No Negative Marking: TISS NET does not have negative marking for any programme. This allows going for some hit and trial to maximize your score. MBAUniverse.com will continue to update the latest information, highlights and announcements related to TISS NET 2019